Can “en” be played in Scrabble? Find out here
Is “En” a Scrabble Word?
Yes En is valid in Scrabble for 2 points
En is a valid word within the Scrabble dictionary that is worth only 2 points when played in Scrabble. Overall, it is a very low-scoring word within the game.
En is versatile in that it has various meanings, these include:
- A shortened word simply meaning the English language
- The name of the Latin script letter N
- A unit of measurement equal to half an em
Additionally, “En” is used as a common prefix and suffix for words in the English language. Example prefixes include “Enjoy”, “Enlist”, and “Entails”, whereas example suffixes include “Soften”, “Golden”, and “Broaden”.
This means that despite "en" being a low scorer by itself, it is great for expanding other words to make them longer and worth additional points.
Definition of En
- (plural) The people of England; Englishmen and Englishwomen.
- (Amish, plural) The non-Amish; non-Amish people.
- Ability to employ the English language correctly or idiomatically.
- The name of the Latin-script letter N.
- A unit of measurement equal to half an em (half the height of the type in use).
- Used in various phrases borrowed from French or formed as if borrowed from French (see "Derived terms" below).
How Many Points is En Worth?
En is a 2-letter word made up of the letter tiles E: 1, N: 1. Its points breakdown is as follows:
- With no multipliers, En is worth 2 points.
- On a double-word square, En is worth 4 points.
- On a triple-word square, En is worth 6 points.
Single Letter Extensions of “En”
Potential ways to expand “En” using a single letter include:
Words With “EN”
Words containing “EN” at the start, middle, or end include:
See our full list of words with “EN” for more suggestions.