Is “Ex” a Scrabble Word?
Yes Ex is valid in Scrabble for 9 points
The word ex is allowed to be played in Scrabble. It's a powerful two-letter "X" word that'll score players 9 points (E: 1, X: 8) when it's successfully played.
The meaning of "ex" is something that is in the past or a former of something. Its most popular usage is in relation to a person's former spouse, lover, or partner (i.e., ex-partner, ex-wife, or ex-husband). For example, in a sentence, "I used to love playing Scrabble with my ex-husband". However, ex's usage does not just limit itself to people, it can be used in different contexts such as "my ex-job" or "I'm an ex-hockey player". We personally love the versatility of this word across different contexts. Some of the synonyms of ex include former, previous, and past.
If you happen to have a "Z" letter tile a great extension of this word to max out on points is "Zex" worth 19 points altogether. Alternatively, some three-letter words which can be made with "ex" include "wex", "vex", and "hex".
Definition of Ex
- The name of the Latin-script letter X.
- To delete; to cross out
- A former partner or spouse, usually short for ex-girlfriend, ex-boyfriend, ex-wife or ex-husband.
- Ex-, former, previously but no longer.
- (of a train) the place the train originated from or called at prior to the present location.
- Expensive, dear
How Many Points is Ex Worth?
Ex is a 2-letter word made up of the letter tiles E: 1, X: 8. Its points breakdown is as follows:
- With no multipliers, Ex is worth 9 points.
- On a double-word square, Ex is worth 18 points.
- On a triple-word square, Ex is worth 27 points.
Single Letter Extensions of “Ex”
Potential ways to expand “Ex” using a single letter include:
Words With “EX”
Words containing “EX” at the start, middle, or end include:
See our full list of words with “EX” for more suggestions.